Review: Linkin Park's 'New Divide' from 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fall'
Listen to the band's new single
While not as strong a song as the anguished "What I've Done," Linkin Park's tune featured in in 2007's "Transformers," "New Divide" has all the requirements of a music theme to a big summer blockbuster: Large, expansive verses? Check. Moral conflict in choruses that's resolved by end of song? Check. Some macho mention of love? Check.
The tune begins as virtually all Linkin Park songs do: with Chester Bennington's great, open vocals front and center with the music low in the mix, then, with a drum blast, the music soars and the tension builds. Hey, it works well for them time and time again.
Befitting the "Transformers" robotic theme, there's a cool, industrial, metal-sounding bridge that fits the movie perfectly and still works well with Linkin Park's metal edge. Note, however, this is all rock, no rap... we'll see if it signals a slightly new direction for the band.
Bennington wants to believe that "Love is big enough to reach the truth that lies across this new divide," and by the end of the song, the band has done everything within its power to convince us they're right.
Listen to "New Divide" below.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013