REVIEW: Ida Maria's 'Fortress 'Round My Heart'
Does Norwegian sensation live up to the hype?
One of the buzz acts at last week's SXSW, Norwegian singer Ida Maria, already has a tailwind behind her that's propelled her into critical darling status here. Now the trick is to see if she can live up to the hype. As we've seen time and time again, it's easy to crash and burn when the expectations are so high.
On her debut, "Fortress ‘Round My Heart," out digitally today, she doesn't disappoint. The punk pop songs on "Fortress," so full of tension and regret, are delivered with a fresh immediacy that makes them all the more resonant. Maria may growl like a tough chick, but she's as soft and mushy as the rest of us when it comes to love. Although only 24, Maria already has a slightly husky voice that suggests she's seen a lot of sunrises arrive from the business end of the night before.
Opening track, "Oh My God," (used in "Gossip Girl" promos) issues the warning that there's drama dead ahead, as she makes it clear that if you don't understand her panic, then you clearly don't understand the urgency of the situation.
She's got a little of Chrissie Hynde and Nico in her, but on the frenetic "Queen of the World," she recalls, oddly enough, Katrina and the Waves. Lyrically, she's certainly not walking on sunshine, but the drunken exuberance is infectious.
The novelty song and the obvious ringer here is the barreling "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked," but the raucous sing-a-long doesn't hint at the depths she reaches on songs like on "Stella." The power pop track about a hooker, hits a nail straight to the heart when Maria sings "And it made me realize how much you wanna give away just to feel loved."
It's the vulnerability, not the obviously cleverness, that reels the listener in. A very auspicious debut.
Maria continues her U.S. tour for the next week and then returns for Coachella.
March 24 Atlanta, GA The Loft at Center Stag
March 26 Washington, DC Black Cat
March 27 West Chester, PA The Note
March 28 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
March 30 New York, NY Webster Hall
March 31 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
April 18 Indio, CA Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013