Review: Eminem's video for 'We Made You'
Slim Shady slips severely, watch and judge for yourself
Oh Eminem, you're better than this. Really. The video for "We Made You" looks great, but aren't you a little above making fun of Jessica Simpson putting on a few pounds (in "Dukes of Hazard" mode of all things) or Kim Kardashian's butt?
The first clip from Slim Shady's new album, "Relapse," probably cost more than $1 million to film given the sets and special effects , such as making Dr. Spock/Eminem disappear, the car morphing into the robot or the expanding the ever-growing Kardashian butt. And we can't say it's money well spent.
Parodies happen all the time in videos and, to our mind, there's no one better at this kind of thing than the Foo Fighters, whether it's going all the way back to "Big Me" or last year's "Long Road to Ruin," one of our all-time favorite clips. We can't say the same about "We Made You." We get the concept and the statement the video is trying to make, but after three viewings, we were already bored.
The clip for "We Made You" isn't a parody per se, as it is supposed to be a commentary on current times and the evanescence of fame (at least that's what we thought) but, quite honestly, Sarah Palin is so last year, as are Simpson, Kardashian, Bret Michaels and Amy Winehouse and her loser husband, Blake.
The best part of the clip is Eminem's when he's playing Elvis Presley and recreates the "Jailhouse Rock" number on the two-tiered prison cell. He should have stuck with that. And what's "The Rainman" parody doing in there? Quite honestly, we're just confused instead of amused. It doesn't help that the song is as uncompelling as the video.
It doesn't sound like it, but I'm a fan of much of Eminem's work. I would go so far as to call "Lose Yourself" and "Stan" brilliant, but on "We Made You," he sounds like he's phoning it in and all the hi-tech "Star Trek" jokes, fake vomit (could we PLEASE retire that-is there anyone who thinks that's funny?), Palin, Simpson and Kardashian jokes won't remedy that.
What do you think of "We Made You? Watch the video below and share your thoughts.
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013