REVIEW: Black Eyed Peas return with "Boom Boom Pow"
Will.I.Am tells Hitfix about new album, "The E.N.D."
Damn Will.I.Am! You know why? I can't get "Boom Boom Pow," the new single from the Black Eyed Peas out of our head and I hate that. I've always been a melody queen. I love songs. Songs you can sing, songs you can hum, songs whose melodies get into your brain and you wake up with them running through your head. They don't have to be particularly intelligent or deep. Some of my favorite songs of the last several years have combined beats with catchy melodies, like Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" or Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy."
"Boom Boom Pow" has none of that -by "that," we mean melody. It's all beats. But what catchy little beats they are. There's not a shred of it you can sing (not that you turn to BEP for sing-a-longs, but at least you could hum "Let's Get it Started.") But as an eclectro-influenced pop tune, it is instantly catchy and it gets your feet moving. All four members get a shot at the vocals, which is a very nice treat since we've been waiting a minute for this album. It's a cool re-introduction. I'm getting a little tired of the vocal vocoding that so many rap records are using these days, but I figure that's got to be coming near an end. In the meantime,
" Boom Boom Pow" came onto Billboard's Hot 100 at No. 71 last week and I expect it will zoom to the top as soon as it's available for download. It is the first single from the Black Eyed Peas' new album, "The E.N.D," which comes out in June.
I interviewed Will.I.Am at the Consumer Electronics Show in January and we talked about "The E.N.D." He told me it stands for "energy never dies," but it is also a literal title. "It's the end of a lot of things, it's the end of the traditional way of looking at music, and seeing the record stores," he says. "When's the last time you went into a record store" It's the end of a lot of things, when was the last time you carried around a CD with head phones, I don't know." He also said it may be the Peas' last CD, but he stresses that he means that only as a format, since physical CD sales are diminishing every year, as digital becomes a more dominant format. The group will continue recording and releasing music together long past "The E.N.D."
Listen to "Boom Boom Pow" below.
News From Our Partners
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013