Review: Ashley Tisdale's new video, 'It's Alright, It's OK'
What will Sharpay think?
Just like fellow Disney discovery Zac Efron, Ashley Tisdale is eager to move on-or at least expand-beyond her tween audience. Yet she's not going so far in her new video, "It's Alright, It's OK," as to pose with a naked model, as Efron did in an Interview photo shoot.
Nope, instead she straddles the line -just as she somewhat awkwardly straddles a boy in the video-between staying G-rated enough for her young "High School Musical" base and PG-rated enough to appeal to fans who are old enough to drive. And in a statement that shows she's really a serious artist, she's gone from blonde to brunette.
She channels both Pink and Kelly Clarkson in the peppy, defiant "It's Alright, It's OK," the first single from her second Warner Bros. album, "Guilty Pleasure," out June 16.
In the video, she finds out her boyfriend has been cheating. Deciding what is good for the goose is good for the gander, she poses for a series of pictures with new beaus all designed to show her cheating scumbag of a former boyfriend that she's moved on. (Tisdale recently split with her longtime boyfriend Jared Murillo, so we don't know if any of this is a veiled dig at him). She leans provocatively into one boyfriend, grabs another, puts her head in one's lap, but it's all pretty sanitized. Don't get us wrong- we think that's great. I applaud that she doesn't equate lack of clothes with "edgy." She doesn't need to pretend she's competing to be on "The Hills" now or is now ready to go straight from "High School Musical" to "Girls Gone Wild." The action is interspersed with performance footage.
Tisdale's voice is fine, if a bit nasally and stagy. There's a never a sense of spontaneity in either the vocal delivery or in the video and there's a certain self-consciousness that the sooner she sheds the better.
Will this video move her beyond her base? It's not likely, but that has more to do with the fairly disposible song than the video. But 12-year old girls will love it.
Watch the video below:
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013