Rage Against the Machine sets free concert for June 6 in London as thank you to their fans
Show is a big thank you for fans who made 'Killing' the Christmas Number One Single
Let it be noted that Rage Against the Machine is a band of its word. As a thank you to fans who voted its song “Killing in the Name” the U.K.’s Christmas Number One single, the group will play a free concert in London’s Finsbury Park on June 6.
"A historic grassroots rebellion made our song 'Killing in the Name' the number one Christmas single of 2009. The people of the UK toppled the X-Factor giant, raised a great deal of money for homeless charities, and shocked the world. As a thank you to our UK fans and freedom fighters we promised to play a free show. Well...here we come. June 6th, Finsbury Park, the celebration/party/revolution is ON!!,” said Rage guitarist Tom Morello on the band’s website.
As you recall, Rage's single kept “The X Factor” winner Joe McElderry’s remake of Miley Cyrus's “The Climb” from capturing the title. (The winner of the contest is selected via fan downloads). Read the background on the race and about the significance and long tradition of the Christmas No. 1 here in this excellent piece that Katie Hasty wrote when Rage's song won.
Rages win spelled the end to the four-year run that Simon Cowell-produced songs had at the helm. (Cowell is a producer and judge on “The X Factor”). To sweeten the pot, as voting drew to a close in December, Rage threw in the free concert.
The event will include a number of support acts, according to Rage’s website. We’re betting McElderry shows up. To register for tickets, go to www.theragefactor.co.uk. Registration is open through Valentine’s Day. Tickets will be doled out on a lottery basis starting Feb. 17.
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013