Prince hits bulls-eye with Target for three new discs
Exclusive retail deal offers 3-CD set for $11.98
The collection is composed of two new Prince studio albums, LOtUSFLOW3R and MLPSoUND (the wacky spelling is courtesy of Prince, not us), as well as a CD from his new protege Bria Valente.
The trio will sell for an unbelievably low $11.98. That's for all three, not for each one. They are available starting March 29.
Prince's deal follows comes in a long line of superstars linking with one retailer to release product. It started in earnest with Garth Brooks and Wal-mart a few years ago. Other artists who have followed suit have included the Eagles, Guns ‘n Roses, Journey, Bruce Springsteen and AC/DC. Target hasn't jumped into the fray as much as its Wal-mart or Best Buy brethren, although was the exclusive retailer for Christina Aguilera's recent greatest hits set. More often, though, Target has released special editions of non-exclusive albums with extra tracks added on for Target, exclusive holiday or live albums.
These are good deals for the artists. Usually the deal is what's called a one-way buy. In other words, the retailer, in return for getting the exclusive, agrees to buy a certain number o f albums and pays the artist for that total number, as opposed to the number actually sold through to customers. For example, Wal-Mart's initial buy for the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" was supposedly for 3 million copies. That was a really smart deal as that double CD has now sold more than 3.2 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Prince no longer has a label deal, which means, like Brooks and the Eagles, they get the whole share of the pie.
Want more music news and analysis? Sign up now for HitFix Blog Alerts and get The Beat Goes On in your inbox every day.
Don't stop the music! Click here to add The Beat Goes On to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience today.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013