Predicting the 2012 Grammy Awards: Album of the Year
Is Adele a lock?
Album of the Year is the last award presented on the Grammy Awards telecast for good reason: it’s the fairest award of them all and the one that every artist dreams of winning Here are the contenders for the 54th annual Grammy Awards, which will air Feb. 12 at 8 p.m. on CBS.
Album of the Year
“Wasting Light,” Foo Fighters
“Born This Way,” Lady Gaga
“Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” Bruno Mars
This is a fine list, but if we were a one-woman nominating committee, we’d swap out “Loud” and “Born This Way” for Kayne West’s “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” and Paul Simon’s “So Beautiful Or So What.” But the Grammy voters love Lady Gaga...up to a point: all three of her albums have received album of the year nominations, although she’s never won. The Foos have been here before also. For Adele, Bruno Mars and Rihanna, this is their first invitation to the big dance. Adele’s “21” has just celebrated its 50th week in the Billboard 200 Top 10 and its third No. 1 single. There was a time when commercial sales didn’t mean squat when it came to predicting the best album winner, but when you combine “21’s” sales strength and its across-the-board appeal from hipsters and soccer moms alike, the award is Adele’s to lose.
Should Win: “21”
Will Win “21”
Check out our other predictions for record of the year, song of the year and best new artist.
Agree? Disagree? Put your own predictions on a ballot and, if you're right, you may WIN a SONY 32GB Tablet. Click here to play HitFix's Grammy Awards predictions game.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013