Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson vie in 2010 Grammy Predictions for best pop vocal album
The Fray and Colbie Caillat also in contention
As we continue to plow through Grammy categories as we countdown to the Jan. 31 awards show, we're in a pop frame of mind.
Best Pop Vocal Album
These are all strong contenders as pop is having a nice resurgence for females. Having said that, we’re knocking Caillat out of the running. Even though she’s made some nice strides, “Breakthrough” has not been as successful as her 2007 debut, plus her competition is too strong. Same with The Fray. Nice record, but not as successful as their last. “All I Ever Wanted” has spawned some nice hits for Clarkson, but hasn’t advanced her career artistically. (Although if people really took the "vocal" part of the category seriously, she's be the clear winner). That leaves us with “The E.N.D.” and “Funhouse.” Pink deserves it as “Funhouse” continues her exploration of deep topics, such as on “Sober,” but also keeps the mood light on other tracks. “The E.N.D.” is a great party album, full of inventive beats, but it doesn’t hold up as well on repeated listening. Having said that, given that “The E.N.D.” is also nominated for album of the year, voters who haven’t spent time with all five albums will definitely check the box for the Peas.
The Grammy goes to: “The E.N.D.," Black Eyed Peas
Read other HitFix 2010 Grammy predictions:
To follow Melinda Newman on Twitter, click here.
News From Our Partners
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013