Pearl Jam's Target run yields a No. 1, plus Oprah to boost Jay-Z sales
Where that puts Whitney on the chart, plus more sales predictions
Have you heard the one about the band who spends its entire career on major record companies, finally is able to release its new CD on its own label and creates a patchwork network for distribution, promotion and marketing? The punch line? The group lands its first No. 1 album in 13 years.
That's how it's looking for Pearl Jam with "Backspacer," the first studio album from its own Monkeywrench Records. We won't know for sure until Tuesday night, but early indicators are that the set will sell around 200,000 copies, according to Hits Daily Double. That's enough to bump Jay Z's "The Blueprint 3" out of the top spot. Former penthouse occupant Whitney Houston drops to No. 5 after jumping back up to No. 2 last week following her "Oprah" surge.
Pearl Jam's success follows the continuum we're seeing with acts like Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails leaving the major label system and seeing no downside as their sales continue to soar. These are acts that in many ways are still in their prime (or just slightly past it, in the case of NIN), who are going this route, but it's also working astonishingly well for veteran acts like Journey and the Eagles, who still have huge fan bases. Like Journey and the Eagles, whose discs were available only through Wal-mart, the exclusive retailer for Pearl Jam is Target (although PJ took care of indie retailers and let them have the CD as well, so the exclusive is only partial).
Jay Z slips to No. 2. But here's the interesting thing. I'm not sure, but my hunch is this is the first time we've seen two technically "indie" releases in the top 2 spots. Jay-Z's record is on Roc Nation, his own label through Live Nation. Of course, it is distributed in conjunction with Atlantic, which technically makes it not an indie, but it's food for thought. His appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" may give him an extra boost.
Also debuting in the Top 10 will be rockers Three Days Grace, who look poised to come in around No. 3 with sales of 85,000. They aren't the other rockers having nice first weeks: both Brand New and Five Finger Death Punch debut in the Top 10, ahead of such critically acclaimed acts like Monsters of Folk, who hover around 12 or so.
Pearl Jam's stay at the top will be short, however, as Mariah Carey's "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" comes out Sept. 29 and is a lock for coming in at No. 1
News From Our Partners
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013