Kanye West, Lady Antebellum, Broken Bells and Vampire Weekend make out top 10 2010 albums list
Where do Kanye West, Lady Antebellum and Vampire Weekend finish?
As we count down the hours to the end of 2010, hereâ€™s one last look back at the albums that kept me smiling throughout the year. By their very nature, such lists are subjective and Iâ€™m sure there will be readers that hated some of the albums on this list as much as I loved them. But such lists are also often about the thrill of discovery and the thought of shining the light on a perhaps overlooked gem.
My colleague Katie Hasty posted her excellent Top 10 here. Check that out as well.
1) â€œBroken Bells,â€ Broken Bells:Â Danger Mouse and The Shinsâ€™ James Mercer create a beautiful, melancholy blend of synthesizers and acoustic instrumentation and sorrow all woven together in a beautiful effort. We almost hope it remains a one-off as the journey feels complete with this one, at times transcendent, effort.
2) â€œMy Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,â€ Â Kanye West: Take one of musicâ€™s most controversial and talented figures and see what happens when he rips his psyche open for all to see. West canâ€™t hide his demons and they all join him here in living color and sheer brilliance. Heâ€™s one of the few artists whose self-indulgence is as compelling as it is narcissistic.
3) â€œSigh No More,â€ Â Â Mumford and Sons: British folk rock acolytes brought the beauty and the bite with their debut. The acoustic quartet ties its disparate influences together through inspired thumping on all manner of stringed instruments, including guitars, mandolins, banjos and dobros. Hit single, â€œLittle Lion Man,â€ is just the tip of the iceberg here.
4) â€œArchandroid,â€ Janelle Monae:Â Sheâ€™s a chameleon who shifts shapes and musical styles with tremendous, seemingly effortless ease. On â€œArchandroid,â€ sheâ€™s retro and futuristic, pop, funk and punk all at once. Fascinating.
5) â€œUp on the Ridge,â€ Dierks Bentley: Pretty country boy veers away from the mainstream to make a bluegrass flavored album that has as much heart as it does talent. He smartly surrounds himself by real deals likeÂ Alison Krauss, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson and Del McCoury, whose haunting high-lonesome singing on Bentleyâ€™s cover of U2â€™s â€œPride (In the Name of Love)â€ is the albumâ€™s centerpiece.
6) â€œNeed You Now,â€ Lady Antebellum:Â This co-ed country trio avoided the sophomore slump and how with its second album that built on the flawless harmonies and strong melodies from its debut. The title track was one of the best songs of the year of any genre. To be sure, calling Lady A the country equivalent of Fleetwood Mac is a bit much, but they sure do make loving (music) fun.
7) â€œContra,â€ Â Vampire Weekend: Smart, literate rock that doesnâ€™t overreach its ambitions, but never panders to the lowest common denominator.Â Plus, Vampire Weekendâ€™s music is often infused with a joy missing in so much smart rock. Having said that, after its usage in the ubiquitous Honda commercial,Â Iâ€™m not sure I ever need to hear â€œContraâ€ track â€œHolidayâ€ again.
8) â€œThe Union,â€ Elton John and Leon Russell: An album made for all the right reasons: Johnâ€™s desire to lift up his mentor and musical hero to past heights, bolstered by no pretense of pandering to radio. Worth the price of admission for the keyboard shoot-outs and Neil Youngâ€™s appearance on the beautiful â€œGone to Shilohâ€ alone.
9) â€œCount Yard Hounds,â€ Â Court Yard Hounds: This album, from Dixie Chicksâ€™ sibs Martie Maguire and Emily Robison disappeared without making much of a sound (to paraphrase one of the albumâ€™s stronger tracks), which is a shame given its understated loveliness. From the Southern California loveliness of â€œThe Coastâ€ to the heartbreaking stomp of â€œAinâ€™t No Sonâ€ and Robisonâ€™s confessional divorce tunes, the album was a subtle joy.
10) â€œI Learned the Hard Way,â€ Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: These funk/soul lovers just keep getting better. They pay homage to their R&B forefathers and much of their sound can be directly traced back to acts like James Brown or Mavie Staples, but Jones and the Dap Kings still create their own shimmering, irresistible blend. And, as they say, imitation is the sincerely form of flattery.
Runners Up:Â Arcade Fireâ€™s â€œThe Suburbs,â€ Black Keysâ€™ â€œBrothers,â€ Bruce Springsteenâ€™s â€œThe Promise,â€ Sadeâ€™s â€œSoldier of Love,â€ Jamey Johnsonâ€™s â€œThe Guitar Song,â€ and The Nationalâ€™s â€œHigh Violet.â€
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013