Music Power Rankings: Lady Gaga, Coachella times two, and Scotty McCreery
Why are the Foo Fighters on here?
All of her efforts paid off. Lady Gagaâ€™s â€œBorn This Wayâ€ ended up selling around 1.1 million in its opening frame, making it the best first week tally since 50 Centâ€™s 2005 set â€œThe Massacre,â€ sold 1.14 million in its first week.Â Only 17 albums have accomplished the feat in the 20 years that Nielsen SoundScan has been keeping countâ€”the last to do so was Taylor Swiftâ€™s â€œSpeak Now,â€ which squeaked by last fall with 1,006,000 copies.
1) Lady Gaga (Last Week: No. 1): If she was â€œBorn This Way,â€ why did she still have to work so hard to sell 1.1 million albums?
2) Apple (not ranked): The new iCloud is here, the new iCloud is here!
3) Coachella Coachella (not ranked): No, youâ€™re not seeing double. The Indio, Calif. rock festival will become a twin as it announces that next year it will hold two identical festivals, featuring the exact same acts both weekends. Letâ€™s hope they clean the port-a-potties on the off days.
4) Sony (not ranked): So they give up their â€œAmerican Idolâ€ rights (and just in the nick of time, it would seem) but pick up â€œGlee.â€ Now, theyâ€™ve smartly hedged their bets and gone ahead and inked a deal to replace music from â€œSmash,â€ NBCâ€™s mid-season replacement about the making of Broadway musical. Itâ€™s executive produced by Steven Spielberg and stars Katherine McPhee. Look, all roads do lead back to â€œAI.â€
6) Alex Da Kid (not ranked): Grammy-winner producer best known for his work with Eminem gets his own Interscope label, KIDinaKORNER. That will be the absolute last time we indulge him by writing it that way. First signing is singer/songwriter Skylar Grey, with whom he and Em co-wrote â€œLove the Way You Lie.â€
7) Bjork (not ranked): She takes The Gorillazâ€™ â€œThe Fall,â€ which was created primarily on an iPad, several steps further with Blophilla. It will be made on an iPod and then releasedÂ via as iPad apps.
8) Vevo (not ranked): After rival YouTubeÂ live streamed the Coachella festival, Vevo gets into the game withÂ exclusive rights to stream next weekendâ€™s Bonnaroo, snagging it away from YouTube who streamed it last year. Viva la Vevo.
9) Adele (not ranked): Even while sheâ€™s sick and has to cancel the remainder of her U.S. tour, sheâ€™s still setting records. She becomes the first woman to have a song, â€œRolling in the Deep,â€ topÂ the Mainstream Top 40, Triple A and Hot 100 Airplay charts. Just start clearing the shelf for all the Grammys now.
10) Foo Fighters (not ranked): They didnâ€™t do anything that spectacular this week except for put out another amazing video, this time for "Walk."Â Anyone who references â€œFalling Downâ€ is thumbs up with us.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013