Music Power Rankings: Eminem's 'Recovery' continues, but Lady GaGa rules the world
Plus Katy Perry sets a new record and Apple looks to replace your wallet
Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” is the undisputed song of the summer, but in every other way the season belongs to Eminem. The second chapter of his career is in full bloom. While “Relapse” sold respectably, it was largely seen as an uninspired artistic misstep. “Recovery’s” reception, while mixed from critics, has been lauded in many quarters and has spawned two No. 1s, including “Love the Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna, which is shaping up to be one of the biggest hits of Eminem’s career.
Music Power Ranking took a hiatus last week so the parentheses indicate the rank two weeks ago.
1) Eminem (not ranked): Marshall Mathers logs his sixth week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with “Recovery,” while “Love the Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna spends its fifth week atop the Hot 100 and seven weeks in the pole position on Hot Digital chart. The last artist to register six frames at the top of the Billboard 200 was Susan Boyle. Did they dream the same dream?
3) Lil Wayne (not ranked): He’s earned more in jail ($20 million) this year than he did last year when he was a free man ($18 million), according to Forbes. He has also appeared on a staggering 23 tracks since his incarceration. Somehow, we bet he’d willingly give up that $2 million for his freedom.
4) Lady GaGa (No. 6): By the time you finish reading this she will have surpassed Britney Spears as the person on Twitter with the most followers—more than 5.64 million. It is her world and we just live in it. Or at least her Twitterverse.
5) Katy Perry (not ranked): She becomes only the 10th female solo artist in the 52-year history of the Billboard Hot 100 to land two songs simultaneously in the Top 10.
6) Justin Bieber (No. 2): Kayne West is remixing the Bieb’s track “Runaway Love” featuring Wu-Tang Clan’s Raekwon. And in other news from bizarre world…
7) Courtney Love (not ranked): The singer and widow of Kurt Cobain settles a lawsuit over Nirvana’s publishing catalog. Smells like green spirit.
8) Apple (not ranked): The giant moved a step closer toward launching a rumored mobile payment service by hiring a mobile payment expert. Get ready to use your iPhone to pay for purchases by swiping it near a register. No carrying around a bulky wallet anymore.
9) Kings of Leon (not ranked): The group does what Lady GaGa and Britney could not: they turn down “Glee’s” request to use their music. Wait until Sue Sylvester hears about this. She’ll make those pigeons looks like KoL’s best friends.
10) Conan O’Brien (not ranked): He signs a deal with pal Jack White’s label, Third Man, for two releases. I know he’s been off the air since January, but, really, Conan, how can we miss you if you don’t go away?
Music Power Rankings appear every Friday. What do you think of this week's list?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013