Eminem and Lady GaGa spend another week in the top 10 of Music Power Rankings
Why does Chris Brown make the list?
They’re only two little words, but they’re potent. Cee-Lo’s “F*** You” is the viral video sensation of the summer. Who knew so many people had so much pent-up hostility against an ex? Or could it simply be that Mr. Green has created the catchiest, most soulful song of the year, even without the attention-grabbing expletive? All we know is we’d like to send a big old thank-you note to the golddigger that inspired the song and inspired Cee-Lo’s best work since “Crazy.”
1. Cee-Lo (not ranked last week): His “F*** You” is the internet sensation of the summer. Hours after it surfaced last Friday, it went viral and spread like wildfire, garnering more than 3 million views on YouTube. We have only one thing to say to the A regrettably-titled radio edit, “Forget You”: “F*** You.”
2. Fantasia (not ranked): Her “Back to Me” album sells much better than expected and will likely come in at No. 2 next week, but even more importantly, the "American Idol" winner seems to be on the mend following her suicide attempt a few weeks ago.
3. Apple (No. 8): The industry is buzzing about Apple’s annual product launch next Wednesday. Will it announce a cloud-based iTunes? That could drive digital sales sky high. But will Google rain on Apple's parade as news of its plans for a music service heat up?
4. Eminem (No. 1): “Recovery” spends its eighth non-consecutive week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. That’s the most for any male artist since Usher’s “Confessions” in2004. Note to self: album titles that hint at bad behavior play well.
5. Lucian Grange (not ranked): The new head of Universal Music Group is making quick moves. In the same week, he looks ahead by signing Lady GaGa/Sean Kingston producer RedOne to his own imprint, 2101, and honors the past by inking a deal with Annie Lennox, following her departure from her lifelong home at BMG.
6. Katy Perry (No. 5): She’s been everywhere as she promotes “Teenage Dream,” which will knock Eminem out of the top spot on next week’s Billboard 200. But with projected album sales of only 200,000 is this a dream or a nightmare as fans focus on buying individual songs from Perry instead?
7. Kanye West (not ranked): The rapper declares via Twitter that he is here to save us all one song at a time. Every Friday between now and Christmas, we’ll get a new song from West or one of his colleagues. Jesus Walks but West runs.
8. Lady GaGa (No. 6): It’s official. After inching up on Britney Spears last week, Lady GaGa officially moves in to first place on Twitter with more than 5.7 million followers. Who knew all her Little Monsters had opposable thumbs?
9. Fistful of Mercy (not ranked): All the little tastemakers cooed with the delight and clapped their hands over the formation of new group composed of Joseph Arthur, Dhani Harrison and Ben Harper, even more so because no one know of the collaboration until a secret show Tuesday night (so secret that invites were via phone call—no emails or voice mail messages). The album, “As I Call You Down,” comes out Oct. 5.
10. Chris Brown (not ranked): His song “Deuces,” from the mixtape “Fan of a Fan,” leaps to No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs chart, taking the biggest jump to the top spot since Destiny’s Child’s “Bills, Bills, Bills” in 1999. Just remember people, it’s okay to forgive, but never forget.
Music Power Rankings appear every Friday. What do you think of this week's list?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013