Music Power Rankings: Bruce Springsteen, Britney Spears and One Direction
Plus, a little music conference in Texas
1) Bruce Springsteen: “Wrecking Ball” comes in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, dethroning Queen Adele; Springsteen delivers a keynote at SXSW that instantly takes on mythical status, and then puts on a show that leaves people breathless. Forever and always The Boss.
2) One Direction: Need any proof boy bands are back? The Wanted is at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and 1D, as the Directioners call them, are slated to make music history next week when “Up All Night” bows at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, making it the first debut album by a British band to EVER come in at No. 1 on the album chart. Take that, Fab Four.
3) Britney Spears: She allegedly turns down $10 million to appear on “The X Factor.” Looks like Simon Cowell is going to have to hit her, baby, one more time... with an extra $10 million.
4) SXSW: The annual Austin music fest draws more than 2,000 bands and at least 4,000 bloggers claiming to have discovered the next big thing... only to declare the act "over" by the next morning
5) ”Marley”: The long-awaited biopic on Bob Marley, which has passed through many directors’ hands before Kevin Madconald wrangled it, is, as it absolutely must, coming out on 4/20.
6) Flaming Lips: The Oklahoma band’s musical based on their album “Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots” gets an official premiere slot this fall at the La Jolla (Calif.) Playhouse. Up next: “Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water: The Musical.”
7) Rolling Stones: They’re the only ones cool enough to delay celebrating their 50th anniversary until they are 51. #Waitingonafriend
8) Wiz Khalifa: His “Taylor Allderdice” mixtape proves so popular that it crashes the website. Wow, who knew Amber Rose was such a draw?
9) Turntable.fm: After operating in a legal gray area, the online music service finalizes deals with the four major record companies. Now you can play D.J. and bore all your friends legally.
10) Billy Corgan: The Smashing Pumpkins’ founder praises the ‘90s for producing better bands and calls today’s artists posers at SXSW. And, by the way, get off his damn lawn!
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013