Opera singer Renee Fleming tackles Muse, Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie and Leonard Cohen on her next album
Renowned opera singer tackles modern rock hits for next album
If rock stars like Sting can dip their toes in the classical world, why not the reverse? Our favorite wacky story of the day is that opera star Renee Fleming has recorded a cover album of rock tracks, including Muse’s “Endlessly,” The Mars Volta’s “With Twilight as My Guide” and, of course,” Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” “Dark Hope” is out this Spring.
As first blush, it sounds like it could be a train wreck, worst case scenario, and a novelty effort, best case scenario. All we hope is that if it is a disaster, it’s one on a grand scale. Sadly, we think Fleming is way too tasteful for that to be the scenario.
However, Fleming and her producer, David Kahne (Regina Spektor, the Strokes) have chosen songs that lend themselves to emotional, sweeping interpretations. Maybe they saw an opening following Susan Boyle’s success (although we imagine this was in the works before that and I’m sure Fleming would, understandably, involuntary retch at the thought of being mentioned in the same sentence as Boyle). We kind of dig the idea of hearing a voice as grand as Fleming’s take on Arcade Fire’s “Intervention.” But we really wish this was a duets album instead of a covers album. That would have been awesome!
Here’s the track listing.
No One's Gonna Love You (Band of Horses)
Oxygen (Willy Mason)
Today (Jefferson Airplane)
Intervention (Arcade Fire)
With Twilight as My Guide (The Mars Volta)
Mad World (Tears for Fears)
In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
Stepping Stone (Duffy)
Soul Meets Body (Death Cab for Cutie)
Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013