Eminem, Lady GaGa and Kanye West boost MTV Video Music Awards' ratings 33%
Biggest winner? Florence + the Machine
Proving it really doesn't matter how horrible the host is, Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards drew this ceremony’s highest ratings since 2002.
Roughly 11.4 million viewers watched at least a portion of the 2-hour show, which was hosted by Chelsea Handler and featured performances by Eminem, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Kanye West and others. That makes the 2010 VMAs the third most-watched program in MTV’s 30-year history, according to MTV. Even though Lady GaGa didn't perform, she was the evening's big winner and received prominent stage time.
The ratings were up a staggering 33% in the key 12-34 demo. This is the fourth year the VMA ratings have surpassed the previous year.
Immediately reaping benefits were Florence + the Machine, whose performance of “Dog Days are Over” was a highlight of the show and many people’s first exposure to this British outfit led by Florence Welch. By Monday morning, the band's album “Lungs” had jumped to No. 2 on iTunes and digital download sales were up 275%.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013