Michael Jackson zooms back to the top of the charts
King of Pop rules album, singles and video charts following death
It has been said that death as a good career move and we're certainly seeing that crass saying hold true for Michael Jackson. Jackson, who died suddenly on June 26, holds the top 13 positions on Amazon's list of best sellers as of Sunday, June 26.
Leading the charge, not surprisingly, is the "25th Anniversary of Thriller" ("Thriller" originally debuted on the charts on Dec. 25, 1982) Amazon is selling the title for $12.99.
"Off the Wall," Jackson's first solo album for Epic, is in second place. That title, originally released in 1979, is selling for $7.97. "Bad," Jackson's 1987 solo effort, comes in at No. 3. Various greatest hits collections come in at No. 5,6,8,9, 11 and 12 (including a Jackson 5 "best of.").
The first non-Jackson-related entry on Amazon's top sellers chart is Wilco's, "Wilco-The Album" at No. 14.
It's a similar story on the iTunes chart where Jackson holds nine of the top 10 spots, interrupted only by the Black Eyed Peas' 'The End," which is at No. 8. "The Essential Michael Jackson" stands at No. 1, with "Thriller" at No. 2, "Number Ones" at No. 3, "Off the Wall" at No. 5 and "Bad" at No. 5.
On the singles side, Jackson songs rule iTunes' list of digital downloads, with only the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" and "Boom Boom Pow," keeping Jackson from having a lock on the top 10 songs. As of Sunday, Jackson's Top 10 downloads on itunes were: "Man in the Mirror" (No. 1), "The Way You Make Me Feel" (3), "Thriller" (4), "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (5), "Smooth Criminal" (6), "Black or White" (8), "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (9) and "Billie Jean" (10).
Perhaps not surprisingly, nowhere is Jackson's domination more evident than on iTunes' music video chart. Jackson holds an astonishing 22 of the top 25-selling video clips. The top five are "Thriller," "Billie Jean," "Black or White," "Beat It" and "Smooth Criminal." The only clips keeping Jackson from having a total monopoly in the Top 25? Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" (No. 12), Demi Lovato's "Here We Go Again," Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow" at No. 24.
"Thriller" currently stands as the top-selling CD worldwide at around 51 million copies. In the U.S., it toggles back and forth with the "Eagles' Greatest Hits" for the top spot: both have sold in around 27 or 28 million copies. We wonder how many more millions "Thriller" will sell over the next few months?
These titles will zoom back up Billboard's catalog chart, however, unless Billboard decides to alter its rules, the albums won't be eligible for the Billboard Top 200.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013