Mariah Carey releases new album one week before Whitney
'Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel' out Aug. 25; first single 'Obsessed' out today
Mariah Carey will release her 12th studio album, "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel," on Aug. 25. Yes, my fellow release- schedule watchers-that is exactly one week before Whitney Houston is putting out her still-untitled first studio album in seven years. But remember, they aren't rivals...no, not at all.
First single, "Obsessed," is out today; check back here later today for our review.
Like "Obsessed," the bulk of "Memoirs" was produced by Carey, Tricky Stewart and The-Dream. Similarly to how Clive Davis gets an executive credit on Houston's albums, Island Def Jam head Antonio "L.A." Reid" gets an exec producer title here.
"Memoirs" is Carey's first album since "E=MC2," which came out in April 2008. While that album sold well, it was not the powerhouse that Carey's huge comeback, 2005's "The Emancipation of Mimi" turned out to be. That mega-success sold more than 10 million copies worldwide and was the top U.S. seller that year.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013