Listen: Shakira and Lilâ€™ Wayne â€˜s 'Give It Up to Me'
Do the She-Wolf and Weezy make beautiful noise?
Is it possible to only like about half of a song? Shakira’s new single, “Give It Up to Me, “ is so clearly a bid for radio acceptance that it takes the Colombian singer and turns her virtually unrecognizable during certain portions of her new single.
The tune belongs more to Lil’ Wayne than Shakira. He gets the first verse and is dropping some pretty righteous double entendres before the song turns all self-empowerment with Shakira singing “Anything you want in the world, you can make it yours.”
Listen to the opening and tell me that Shakira doesn’t sound more like Nelly Furtado (someone who has certainly benefitted from her association with Timbaland) than like her quirky, warbly, trembly-voiced self.
There are also a brief few bars where Shakira startlingly sounds like Gwen Stefani. What we’re saying is there aren’t a lot of spots on this tune where Shakira sounds like, well, herself. She has an instantly identifiable voice—why try to hide it? Sounding like herself worked just fine on “Hips Don’t Lie.” Although on She-Wolf, not so much.
As far as the actual tune, it’s more a collection of each performer doing his or her part instead of any real cohesive tune, but that doesn’t mean that selected portions aren’t catchy as well. Decide for yourself.
Shakira and Lil' Wayne, "Give It Up To Me"
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013