Listen to Rihanna's new single 'Only Girl,' released ahead of new album 'Loud'
New album, 'Loud,' out Nov. 19
Welcome back, Rihanna! We’ve missed you. Sure, we know youve been at the top of the chart for the past several weeks with Eminem’s “Love the Way You Lie,” and that it’s been only a year since the release of “Rated R,” but that album seems a little like a major detour and now you're back on the super highway.
Today, Rihanna released “Only Girl (In the World),” the first single to her new album, “Loud,” which comes out Nov. 19. The song is the perfect blend between the edginess of the songs from “Rated R” and her earlier, frothy tunes.
In the upbeat dance tune (which went to radio and clubs simultaneously), Ri-Ri asks her man to make her feel like she’s the only girl in the world, but there’s no doubt by the edge in her voice that she’s not sticking around if he’s not up to the task. You go, girl. (On a side note, doesn’t the song sound a little like Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” in terms of tempo?)
On “Rated R,” Rihanna seemed to be doing two things: working out her demons from her horrible experience with convicted felon Chris Brown and trying to show us that she’s a grown up with its over-sexualized, hardcore messages. “Rude Boy” was a radio success, but the album was too insular, too off-putting for fans who loved her mainly for songs like “S.O.S.,” “Umbrella,” or “Don’t Stop the Music” (although not such a leap from tunes like “Disturbia.”
Whether it’s her desire to swing the pendulum back a little or her record company’s, it looks like we’ve go the fun Rihanna back. “Loud,” whose producers include Stargate, will arrive Nov. 16 and is, according to the label, is “a return to the uptempo dance grooves of her earlier records.”
Rihanna’s label is spending all day taking down copies of “Only Girl” cropping up on the youtube as if they’re playing whack-o-mole. Here’s a link to hear the song on KISS-FM, which premiered it this morning. If we can find an embed, we’ll add that later. (On KISS’s home page, the Rihanna single will come up as one of the top stories).
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013