Listen: Rihanna and Britney Spears duet on 'S&M'
Who's dominant on the remix?
Rihanna likes being the bad girl, but she’s more than willing to share her whips and chains, especially when it comes to playing with her fellow sex kitten, Britney Spears. Let’s just hope they disinfect those toys between usage.
As the two breathlessly tweeted last night, they have paired together for a remix of Rihanna’s “S&M,” the original of which sits at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 right now. Hear their new version here.
The remix is the exact same musical bed as the current radio version, so it’s not a remix technically, instead they’ve turned it into a duet. The opening is now Spears singing the “C’mon, c’mon” part before Ri Ri sings the first verse as we’ve come to expect. Then Spears sings that verse about “gag and bound me.” Oddly, she’s got a few years on Rihanna and playing the enchantress is nothing new for her, but she sounds so much more innocent than Rihanna here in her little, slight nasally coo of a voice. “S&M” features one of Rihanna’s strongest vocals so Spears has to bring her best game if she’s really singing instead of doing her talky-thing.
[More after the jump...]
They duet together on the chorus and then Spears throws in some trademark Britney sounds at the end, that, for lack of a better word, reminds me of something that one of the creatures from "Gremlins" would make, but are so identifiably her.
I have no idea if Spears and Rihanna have ever met, but it seems like Rihanna is very open to having fun and making music with whomever she wants: witness her appearance on last week’s Academy of Country Music Awards with Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles on “California King Bed.”
But, as Hitfix editor Gregory Ellwood just said to me, why not do a brand new song then? Because they don’t have to. They get just as much press from this, which sounds like Spears just went into a studio for a few minutes, threw down her part and sent it to the producer who stripped Rihanna’s vocals and added in Britney’s and, voila, an instant superstar duet. They can borrow the dog collar that Christina Aguilera sports in the video for “Not Myself Tonight” for the video, although we have a feeling they both have their own already, in assorted colors.
UPDATE: We just checked in with Rihanna's label rep and the new version went to radio today so they are clearly hoping it will put some new juice in the single.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013