Listen: Red Hot Chili Peppers' new single, 'The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie'
Could it use more cowbell?
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating n/a
It’s like they were never away. “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie,” the first single from the Red Hot Chili Peppers in four years, is a funky, propulsive slab that is instantly recognizable from Anthony Kiedis’s first line.
The lyrics are typical RHCP: more dependent on matching the flow and beats of the music rather than creating any real narrative. For example: “Tick-tock, I want to rock you like the ‘80s/cock-blocking isn’t allowed” or “Rain Dance Maggie advances to the final/who know that she had the goods/ little did I know her body was one delicious vinyl.”
[More after the jump...]
The song is going straight to the top of the alternative and rock charts, though it needs more cowbell. What song doesn’t? Seriously, nice use of the bell, especially at the end of the first verse and the tail of the song. The “Hey Now” and George Harrison-sounding guitar riff in the chorus help make it very poppy and memorable. (They've traded the "Hey Oh," from "Snow (Hey Oh)" for "Hey Now" apparently.)
The tune is the first single from “I’m With You,” the band’s new studio album out Aug. 30. The Rick Rubin-produced set is the first to feature new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer. He replaces John Frusciante, who left for the second, and presumably last time, following the end of the tour to support the last studio album, 2006’s “Stadium Arcadium.” What do you think of Klinghoffer’s playing? He gets plenty of chances to show off his slithery stuff here, but we like his playing during the choruses the best.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013