Listen: Nicki Minaj has guns blazing on new track, 'Roman Reloaded'
Title tune references Grammys and features an X-rated Lil Wayne rap
- Critic's Rating C-
- Readers' Rating F
Nicki Minaj may have announced that the title of her new album would be “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded” months ago, but it’s clear that the title track was just recorded.
Want to know just how fresh the tune is? The full-on rap song (forget about any of the pop/electro featured on the yummy “Starships”) references her Feb. 12 performance on the Grammys: “You mad cause I’m at the Grammys with the Vatican” she says about about 50 seconds in. The production is hard-core with a militant beat throughout the mid-tempo track and a fuzzy hum in the background to heighten the anxiety.
She’s taking “reloaded” quite seriously as we hear the spinning of a gun barrel several times as threatens to “Columbine these hos.” That’s an unfortunate use of turning the tragic event into a verb, first off, and as a reference point.
[More after the jump...]
The highly edited version of the song premiered on Funk Master Flex’s Hot 97 (New York) on Thursday night. The unedited version takes it much further, opening with the sound of the barrels and a shot (in the radio edit, we just hear her say “bang bang,” instead of the actual shot. She tells us many, many times that she has plenty of endorsements and that she is hot and that Mattel is making her own branded Barbie doll (proceeds of which go to charity).
There’s a breakdown by Lil Wayne that is largely bleeped out as it references cocaine, oral sex, and other not-safe-for-broadcast terms.
“Roman Reloaded” won’t get a lot of airplay, that’s for sure, but it’s interesting how Minaj is unfurling songs from “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded,” which comes out in April. She seems determined, to her credit, to refuse to fit into any one box: “ If “Starships” is too pop for you, here’s something that is hardcore. If you think I’m about to play it safe, I’ll go all crazy at the Grammys.”
What do you think of “Roman Reloaded?”
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013