Listen: Nelly Furtado returns with 'Big Hoops' from new alb
Who does she sound like to you?
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating C
Nelly Furtado, who’s traversed a number of musical styles over her decade-long career, lands squarely in Rihanna territory with “Big Hoops (Bigger The Better),” the first single from her June 19 album, “The Spirit Indestructible.”
Produced by Rodney Jerkins, the tune, co-written by Furtado and Jerkins, has the rat-a-tat swagger of “Rude Boy” as Furtado, in her best street patois, lets us know, “I can go fast, I can go slow, I can go places nobody else goes.” It’s a meaningless little ditty that is all about the military beat and bragging rights (though she throws out a fun shout out to early ‘90s R&B boy band Another Bad Creation). It doesn’t have enough of a hook to work its way up the radio charts (especially since the shift to pure pop), but will likely do very well in the clubs.
[More after the jump...]
Given the diversity of producers with whom Furtado worked on “The Spirit Indestructible,” it’s way too soon to tell if she remains in this dance mode throughout the set, but it’s unlikely: Other collaborators include rock producer Bob Rock, best known for his work with Metallica; John Shanks, who’s worked with everyone from Bon Jovi to Melissa Etheridge and Van Halen; dance meister Tiesto; Jamaican producer Da Genius, and Salaam Remi.
The deluxe version of the album, also out June 19, includes pairings with Adele producer Fraser T. Smith, Passion Pit lead singer Mike Angelakos and the Kenyan Boys Choir.
“The Spirit Indestructible” is Furtado’s first English-language album since 2006’s “Loose,” which featured the worldwide hits “Promiscuous” and “Say It Right.”
The official video for “Big Hoops” will drop soon, but in the meantime, enjoy the lyric video.
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitFixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013