Listen: Maroon 5's new song 'Payphone' featuring Wiz Khalifa
Would you turn your chair around for it?
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating A
Mommy, what’s a pay phone? On new single, "Payphone," Maroon5 takes us back to the past, when things were good between lead singer Adam Levine and his girl, and he’d spend all of his money on a pay phone calling her and he still believed in “fairy tales.”
Bolstered by a rat-a-tat drum beat, “Payphone” is a straight-ahead pop ditty, that, like everything else these days, seems to take a page from Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” for its shiny, military-like precise beat that still manages to sound convincingly warm. As I've been writing about ad nauseum lately, we've entered a new pure pop period, and this song fits in perfectly. It's melodic and catchy, and but not overly aggressive.
[More after the jump...]
There are two versions for radio: one with a rap by Wiz Khalifa and one without. He adds a nice change of page and stations that are urban leaning will definitely lean toward the mix with him, but expect the non-Khalifa version to get the most love at Hot AC.
Levine’s vocals are warm and inviting on this, the first single from Maroon 5’s forthcoming album, “Overexposed,” which comes out June 26. Similarly to with its mega-hit, “Moves Like Jagger,” the band decided to work with outside writers on “Overexposed,” and if this tune is any indication, it was a smart move. Popmeister Max Martin executive produced the set and among the writers/producers are OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder and Benny Bianco.
Between Jennifer Lopez on “American Idol” and Levine’s participation on “The Voice,” the artists getting the biggest boost from talent competitions seems to be the judges. Speaking of, Blake Shelton scores his 11th No. 1 this week on Billboard’s Country Songs chart with “Drink On It.”
What do you think?
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitfixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013