Listen: Leona Lewis's new single 'Happy' picks up where 'Bleeding Love' left off
When this hits the airwaves this week, and iTunes next weekend, will it be a hit?
Leona Lewis's first single from her forthcoming album "Echo" serves as a shot across the bow to those who have come before her that there is a new diva on the scene and she will not go quietly. The opening strings and upfront vocals of "Happy" recall Sinead O'Connor's cover of Prince's ""Nothing Compares 2 U."
The song then explodes into a melodramatic, full-on production to great effect. Following the success of "Bleeding Love" and "Better in Time," from her 2007 album, "Spirit," Lewis shows herself to be a real vocal talent to be reckoned with. The mid-tempo ballad, written by Lewis, E. Kidd Bogard and "Bleeding Love" co-authored Ryan Tedder, cautions about being a spectator in one's own life.
Lewis, winner of Britain's talent contest, "The X Factor," worships at the altars of Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston and she could prove to be a worthy successor, although it's clear that neither one of them is ready to hang up their crowns yet. Like those two, restraint is hardly in Lewis's canon and there's a point in "Happy" where she attempts the "calling-all-dogs" kind of shrill high note that Carey specializes in that does no one any good. B
ut otherwise, it's a strong performance that shows she is far from a one-hit wonder. ("Better in Time" peaked at No. 11, so in our mind, the jury was still out).
News From Our Partners
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
Yes, that is really the new album's titleSunday, May 19, 2013