Listen: Lady Gaga talks Amy Winehouse and her new video for 'You and I'
Singer sounds remarkably sweet and relaxed during radio interview
“I never got to meet here,” Lady Gaga says. “I think sometimes we were in the same place. Gosh, I’m real devastated about it... I really remember being in New York. I was with Lady Starlight. She and I were in Duane Reade shopping for eyelashes and glue and I just remember I saw her on the cover of Rolling Stone. It was [her] first cover. I always felt like an outsider.. [Lady Starlight] looked over at me and said, ‘If she can do it, you can do it.’ I always felt like Amy opened a door for girls like me, who didn’t fit that exact, real pop, real wholesome...she was really special and she’ll be greatly missed.” The comments about Winehouse come in around the 7-minute mark.
[More after the jump...]
Nebraska barbeque and eating “pulled-pork sandwiches” and drinking Budweiser in a Huskers t-shirt. “That’s about as casual as I get,” she laughs. We’ve never heard her sound so relaxed and unmannered in an interview.
Lady Gaga has apparently spent a great deal of time in Nebraska because her ex-boyfriend/long-time friend Luc Carl is from Springfield. She declares her love for the state, but shoots down rumors that she’s moving to Omaha. “I’m just a wandering artistic vagabond,” she says. “If anything you’ll see me in a tent with my dress on in the middle of a field somewhere.”
The theme of video, presumably for “You & I,” though the interview never states that clearly, is that she’s walked from New York City to Nebraska to get her beau back. She’s broken and bleeding, but won’t give up. “The idea [is] when you’re away from someone that you love, it’s torture. I knew I wanted the video to be about sprinting back and walking hundreds of thousands of miles to get him back,” she says.
Shooting during a heatwave in cornfields didn’t stop her followers from showing up. She sweetly but humorously describes seeing nothing but miles of cornfields and then “you’d see these cute little monsters popping up.”
News From Our Partners
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013