Listen: Green Day premieres new song 'Carpe Diem' live
Does it make you want to seize the day?
Isn’t it about time for a new Green Day studio album? A mighty good sign that we’re getting close came earlier this week when the band previewed 15 new tracks at a surprise show this week in Costa Mesa, Calif., including “Carpe Diem,” below.
"This next song is about fucking being alive, every single one of us,” says lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong as way of introducing “Carpe Diem,” (which we all learned from “Dead Poet’s Society” is Latin for “seize the day).
It’s a straight-forward propulsive tune that asks “aren’t we all too young to die.” It’s too fuzzy to make out all the lyrics, but it may be anti-war since there are some parts in there about killing or it could be about today's youth, whom Armstrong refers to as "generation fuse." Love that. The best part is the guitar solo about two-thirds through. Otherwise, it’s a chugging tune that is catchy, but not as dynamic as we’ve come to expect from the trio. Does the chorus remind you a little bit of Elvis Costello?
[More after the jump...]
The band has suggested that its ninth studio album will not be a concept set like “American Idiot” or “21st Century Breakdown,” although there certainly have been enough fascinating recent current events for them to change their minds. At the same show, according to NME, the band also played its Amy Winehouse tribute, “Amy.”
Go here to hear six performances from the show.
What do you think of “Carpe Diem?”
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013