Listen: Ace of Base is back with 'Mr. Replay'; Don't say we didn't warn you
They kept the same old synth beat and dumped the ladies
I really thought there was absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, in this world that could make me nostalgic for the original Ace of Base. I was wrong.
You remember them, right? The co-ed Swedish synth act had their moment in the ‘90s with such hits as “All That She Wants” (which, it turns out, was a baby….), "The Sign," and “Don’t Turn Around.” The songs were fluffy, totally disposable and everywhere. Then they seemingly drove off in a Volvo back to the Ikea store that manufactured them and were never heard of again except for on oldies radio.
Well, they’re back…sort of. The two men in the group have resurfaced with two new female singers (cough, cough), who, how do we put this nicely, look like they’re young enough to be the dudes’ daughters and are definitely not there for their singing abilities. Plus, as you’ll notice, in the oldest, most boring sexual trope in the world, they’re seductively clutching each other in one shot. Oh, puhleeze.
“Mr. Replay,” which borrows the melody from “All That She Wants,” makes that song sound deep—which we didn’t think was possible. We have no idea who’s singing lead. Ace of Base 2.0 is really Ace of Base ½.
Listen if you must, but what we really want to do it warn you: ”Don’t turn around,” Ace of Base may be gaining on you.
News From Our Partners
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013