Katy Perry zooms past Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga to set a new record
What Billboard chart record did she set now?
Katy Perry has gone where no other act has gone: As “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” rises to the top of Billboard’s Mainstream Top 40 chart, her album “Teenage Dream” becomes the only album in the chart’s 19-year-history to feature five No. 1s.
“Last Friday Night” follows “California Gurls” featuring Snoop Dogg, “Teenage Dream,” “Firework,” and “E.T.” featuring Kayne West to the top, according to Billboard.
She surpasses Justin Timberlake’s “FutureSex/LoveSounds” and Lady Gaga’s “The Fame,” both of which took four songs to the top of the Mainstream Top 40 chart.
“Last Friday Night” also set a record for the most weekly plays in the chart’s history, zooming past the previous record holder, her own “E.T.” That makes it a pretty good week for Perry, who also appears in the new "Smurfs" movie, which kicked Smurf butt at the box office this weekend.
Of course the real record that Perry is going for is to go to the top of Billboard’s Hot 100. In doing so, “Teenage Dream” would join Michael Jackson’s “Bad” as the only two albums in the Hot 100’s 53-year history to produce five charttoppers. If that happens, we can be assured that we’ll see another single from “Teenage Dream” in an effort to break the tie.
UPDATE: Perry has now also set the same record on Billboard's Pop Songs chart as "Last Friday Night" assumes the summit there as well.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013