Katy Perry, Usher and Fantasia show up in 'Dream' week of new albums
How much will 'Teenage Dream' sell its first week?
It’s Ladies Week as Katy Perry, Fantasia and the hippest of them all, Chrissie Hynde, release new albums on Tuesday, Aug. 24. The laser-beam focus is on Perry, with expectations running high for “Teenage Dream,” her follow up to 2008’s breakthrough, “One of the Boys.” Fantasia’s third album, “Back to Me,” has already spawned an R&B chart topper with “Bittersweet,” but Hynde is living the word with her new project, some of which details loving someone you can never have. The other top release is “Versus” from Usher, a nine-song set that serves as a companion to “Raymond Vs. Raymond.”
Eels, “Tomorrow Morning” (E Works): Band led by Mark Oliver Everett (aka E) releases the third effort in its trilogy that started with “Hombre Lobo” and then “End Times.” “Morning” mines the same topics of love, loss and redemption as the previous two.
Fantasia, “Back to Me” (J Records): “American Idol” winner returns with her third solo album and, for the most part, it’s a beauty, filled with retro-soul tracks that showcase her powerful, mellifluous voice. Read review here.
Fitz & the Tantrums, “Pickin’ Up the Pieces” (Dangerbird): L.A.-based retro, sharply-dressed soulsters Fitz & the Tantrums release their full-length debut full of old school, irresistible R&B and pop.
JP, Chrissie & the Fairground Boys, “Fidelity!,” (La Mina/Rocket Science): The Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde pairs with Welsh musician JP Jones for a lovely, folk-based set that is anchored by the heartbreaking (and clearly autobiographical) “Perfect Lover,” about a woman who meets her soul mate, but they can’t be together because she’s too old to give him children. Did we mention that Hynde is around 60 and Jones probably half that?
Katy Perry, “Teenage Dream” (Capitol): Is there any doubt that this will be a smash? Perry’s evolved into a full-fledged superstar since the release of 2008’s “One of the Boys,” and the first two singles from the new set, “California Gurls” and the title track, have already landed in the top 10. “Dream,” in the main, is more up-tempo than “One of the Boys.” Let the count begin for how many weeks it will log at No. 1. Read review here.
Usher, “Versus” (LaFace): The nine-song follow-up to “Raymond Vs. Raymond” includes hit “There Goes My Baby,” “DJ Got Us Falling in Love” featuring Pitbull and Usher’s collaboration with Jay-Z, “Hot Tottie,” as well as six other tracks such as a remix of “Somebody to Love” featuring Justin Bieber. Fans can buy “Versus” separately or bundled with “Raymond Vs. Raymond.”
News From Our Partners
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013