Katy Perry trades up on the Billboard Hot 100, plus chart moves by Paramore and Vampire Weekend
Who else rings in the new year with good news?
Katy Perry is having a great week. Not only did her track, “California Gurls” featuring Snoop Dogg emerge as the top single seller in 2010 (after Train’s “Hey Soul Sister” has grabbed the crown based on early-December reports), but “Firework,” the third 10 top from her Grammy-nominated “Teenage Dream” explodes back into the top spot on the Hot 100.
This marks the fourth non-consecutive week at No. 1 for the track, as it bumps Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” out of the top spot. “Grenade” slips to No. 1.
[More after the jump...]
It’s a relatively slow week on the Hot 100 as most stations slow down around the holidays. However, Taylor Swift, in addition to having the No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 this week, sees a nice spike as “Mine” climbs 42-31. The reason for the increase: a number of adult contemporary stations who feed into the Hot 100 returned to regular programming after weeks of playing holiday music, according to Billboard. Mumford & Sons’ Grammy-nominated “Little Lion Man” also rebounds as the song jumps 74-64.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
*Vampire Week’s “Contra” jumps 106 slots on the Billboard 200 to No. 89. I guess the constant usage of “Holiday” in commercials has helped more than it’s hurt.
*Who says controversy is a bad thing? Not Paramore. The band has been making headlines the last few weeks as public sparring between the group and the two departed Farro brothers have captivated fans. All the hubbub--and news that the band’s last album was basically about the relationship between lead singer Hayley Williams and Josh Farro -- helped Paramore jump to No. 36 on Billboard’s Social 50. The chart measures activity on social networking sites. The band is also prepping for its South American tour with temporary members guitarist Justin York and drummer Josh Freese.
News From Our Partners
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013