Is Rascal Flatts 'Unstoppable' on the Billboard 200?
'Hannah Montana' steady at No. 2, Juda Kiss hits at No. 3
Rascal Flatts's "Unstoppable" lives up to its name this week as it tops both the Billboard 200 and Top Country Albums chart. Additionally, the first single from the set, "Here Comes Goodbye," is No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart.
Rascal Flatts becomes the third country act this year to top the Billboard 200. Not only that, but the trio scores the second highest first week sales of any act this year, behind U2's "No Line on the Horizon." "Unstoppable" sold 351,000 copies. It is the band's fourth No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this decade, according to Billboard, and the most of any group in the new millennium.
There's a reason for Rascal Flatts' success: they make very palatable, mainstream pop-infused country that centers on strong melodies. And whether you like his vocals or not, lead singer Gary LeVox has a now instantly recognizable voice so the band has an identity instead of being some faceless entity. Even though country fans are beginning to be as fickle as pop fans always have been, there is still a loyalty there second only to metal fans. Plus, studies show that country fans don't illegally download in the same numbers that fans other some other genres do.
Looking at the rest of the Top 10 on the Billboard 200, the soundtrack to "Hannah Montana" leaps from 5-2 as the movie breaks box office records across the land. Plus, Miley Cyrus's "The Climb" is also boosting sales. Rapper Jada Kiss opens at No. 3 with "Last Kiss," while country artist Jason Aldean comes in at No. 4 with "Wide Open." All four albums in the top slots sell more than 100,000 copies each, which is a not so common an occurrence lately. Last week's chart topper, Keith Urban's ‘Defying Gravity' falls to No. 7.
Carrie Underwood clearly sees a boost from her big wins at the April 5's Academy of Country Music Awards as "Carnival Ride" bullets 34-16. Also benefitting are Taylor Swift, whose self-titled album soars 38-21 and Sugarland, who rocket 50-22. The ACMs don't explain why "Kidz Bop Kids" leaps 83-29. That may have to do with the Easter Bunny.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013