How low can they go? Album sales continue to plummet in 2009
Taylor Swift, Hannah Montana and Eminem top sellers
The news goes from bad to worse for the record industry as album sales continued to decline for the first half of 2009.
Any remaining illusion that digital album sales will even remotely make up for sagging physical CD sales was completely obliterated by the stats that showed slower than expected growth in the online space.
As first reported in Billboard, U.S. sales of physical CDs, digital CDs and track-equivalent albums (the awkward term where 10 sold tracks from one album equal an album sale) for the first six months of 2009 tallied 235.8 million units for a decline of 8.9% over the same period in 2008.
Additionally, CD sales in the second quarter of 2009 dropped 22.3%, a stronger fall than that of the first quarter.
Digital sales are not picking up the slack, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Digital album sales increased 18.9% over the corresponding time period for the first six months of 2008. However, that rate is slackening. For example, digital album sales grew 32.7% during the second quarter of 2008.
The top seller so far for 2009 is, no surprise, Taylor Swift. "Fearless," which came out in November 2008, has sold 1.3 million copies since Jan. 1. The only other CDs to shift more than a million units in the first half of 2009 are the soundtrack to "Hannah Montana: the Movie" and Eminem's "The Relapse."
Even sales of digital singles are starting to slow. While sales of digital tracks increased 13 % for the first half of 2009 over the same period of 2008, that increase is down markedly from the 30% growth experienced during the first half of 2008.
News From Our Partners
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013