Hitfix goes to the Grammys: Shock and Awe
Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys and the Eagles snubbed
There are a few things you can always count on just as surely as winter follows fall: Paula Abdul will say something baffling on "American Idol" that defies any rational explanation, the Cubs will fall apart at some point during the season and there will be a moment during the announcement of the Grammy nominations that makes you say, "WTF?"
As we head into that most wonderful time of the year for some music watchers, Grammy season, Hitfix will bring you a complete buffet of Grammy-related stories, including my predictions in key categories, exclusive interview with some of the nominees, and several looks at the often-byzantine Grammy process as to who gets nominated, who doesn't and who ultimately gets to add a shiny gramophone statue to their awards case.
I'm starting with a look at the nominations and the surprises and snubs. There's so much to discuss! It was a particularly juicy year for parsing the nominations and ripping into the whys and wherefores. How about Leona Lewis not getting a nod for best new artist or Grammy fave Alicia Keys losing out on an album of the year nomination? Then there's the overwhelming domination of British acts in the main categories. For example, it's the first time in 15 years that three of the five album of the year nominees are British. The nominations are so anglo-centric, I feel like I should be drinking tea.
I dissected the nominations for MSN. Let the discussion begin.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013