Hitfix goes to the Grammys: Best Female R&B Vocal
Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Jennifer Hudson duke it out
Today, I'm looking at Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. The nominees are:
"Me, Myself And I," Beyonce
"Heaven Sent," Keyshia Cole
"Spotlight," Jennifer Hudson
"Superwoman," Alicia Keys
"Need U Bad," Jazmine Sullivan
This is a tough one with several wildcards, but we're dismissing Beyonce's "Me, Myself & I." It's from her 2003 solo album, "Dangerously in Love." Yes, this version is from her 2007 "The Beyonce Experience Live" DVD, but it's a little bit of a cheat to us. The other contenders include three past No. 1 hits on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hop-Hop Songs chart --"Heaven Sent," "Spotlight" and "Need U Bad."-and Keys' ode to female empowerment, "Superwoman," which peaked at No. 12 on the chart. Sullivan is also nominated for best new artist (Hudson, surprisingly, did not get a new artist nod), but we think Hudson is the stronger singer of the two. Plus, given her personal tragedy, she may get the sympathy vote. But it's hard to rule out Keys. Cole's is having a great run with her latest album, but this isn't her year. Despite the fact that the Grammy voters ignored her this year in the album of the year category, Keys is a Grammy go-to girl and I think some folks will reflexively mark their ballot for her on name value alone. Quite honestly, none of the songs are that remarkable, it pains me to say.
Winner: Alicia Keys, "Superwoman"
News From Our Partners
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013