Listen: Alicia Keys' new single, 'Doesn't Mean Anything'
Is it up to her high standards? Check out our stream
It's been two years since Alicia Keys' last album, "As I Am" came out but it doesn't feel like she's been gone at all between her tour, acting, James Bond-theme writing, penning Whitney's new single, singing with Jay-Z, etc. But she's now officially back with "Doesn't Mean Anything," the first single from her forthcoming album.
My first thought was, "Holy cow, this sounds like Leona Lewis." That was also my second and third thought as well. The mid-tempo tune's tale of woe? Nothing matters since Keys' baby said goodbye. Even worse, as we learn in the bridge, she pushed him away.
But the more I listened to it, the more it sounded like Keys. It's not "No One," but musically, it's within that family. It's a solid, if not stellar, return. "Doesn't Mean Anything" doesn't break any new ground for Keys, but as is often the case with a first single from a new project, it serves as a reintroduction and precursor to the more powerful songs on the album.
Alicia Keys, "Doesn't Mean Anything"
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013