Gene Simmons gets ready to 'Kiss' the sky with first album charttopper
'Sonic Boom' set to make large noise at retail
Trick or Treat: Just in time for Halloween, those face-painting rockers Kiss are poised to have their first ever No. 1 album.
Like Pearl Jam two weeks ago, Gene Simmons and the boys are looking pretty sweet to claim the top spot on the Billboard 200 next week with their self-released set that goes through a single retailer. (Pearl Jam’s “Backspacer” was a Target exclusive, with a few caveats; Kiss is going through Wal-Mart.) “Sonic Boom” is a 3-disc set of new and classic Kiss, plus a DVD. Hits Daily Double predicts it will sell up to 160,000 copies, which is twice as much as Toby Keith’s “American Ride,” which is slated to come in at No. 2 with sales of around 80,000. Let’s take a minute to ponder that the two top spots will belong to platinum plus acts who have decided to go on their own rather than remain on major labels. Times are definitely changing…
The only other titles slated to debut in the Top 10 are country rising star Luke Bryan, whos likely to come in around No. 6 and the Backstreet Boys, who, despite having to cancel appearances because of Brian Littrell’s swine flu, will slide into the Top 10 with sales of 45,000 copies. It’s not too long ago they were selling close to a million copies in their opening week. Last week's charttopper, Barbra Streisand, slips to No. 3, while Mariah Carey falls to 6 or 7. Madonna slides right out of the Top 10.
The wild card is Michael Buble’s “Crazy Love,” which comes out off-cycle on Friday. Instead of sticking to with the planned Oct. 13 release, Warner Bros. moved it up to Oct. 9 to take advantage of his appearance on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” on Friday.
News From Our Partners
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013