Exclusive: Rodrigo y Gabriela record new album in Cuba
Guitar masters link with legendary producer Peter Asher
Rodrigo y Gabriela, best known for their lightning fast acoustic guitar playing, are working on a new album in Cuba.
The Dublin-based, Mexico-born duo recently returned from 10 days in Cuba, where they recorded with producer Peter Asher, who first worked with them on the music for “Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.”
“We became friends and they asked me if I would help them with this record," Asher says. "The idea is to redo some of their existing hits, favorite songs, but instead of just being the two of them, which is amazing, obviously, we wanted to give something different so we went off to Cuba.”
In Havana, the pair re-recorded many of their well-known songs incorporating Cuban rhythm sections and horns. Among the guest players are some members of seminal Cuban rock band Los Van Van.
The pair is finishing the album in Los Angeles. Asher says it will be out next year. Rodrigo y Gabriela’s most recent set, “Live in France,” came out July 19. Its last studio album, "11:11," included production by John Leckie, best known for his work with Radiohead and Muse. Leckie also produced the group's second studio album, which was self-titled.
Asher recently finished producing "Listen To Me: Buddy Holly," a tribute album, out Sept. 6, to Buddy Holly featuring Stevie Nicks, Brian Wilson, The Fray, Zooey Deschanel, Cobra Starship, Train's Pat Monahan, and others singing tunes written by Holly. It follows another Holly tribute album, "Rave On," which came out earlier this year. Holly would have turned 75 on Sept. 7.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013