Everyone wants Jay-Z and his Kanye West produced album
Rapper is in talks with both Sony and WMG. Live Nation wonders WTF?
Who's the most popular man in the music business? It would appear to be Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z. As you know, ever since he decided not to re-up as president/COO of Island Def Jam at the end of 2007, we knew he wasn't long for hanging his shingle at IDJ's parent company Universal Music Group.
Then, he signed a deal with concert promoter Live Nation worth upwards of $150 million that included the rights to his future tours and other entertainment ventures.
In the meantime, "Blueprint 3," his new album that he just allegedly bought back from IDJ for $5 million, will come out through Live Nation or WMG's Atlantic or Sony's Epic... depending upon who you believe.
Billboard says that a Sony distribution deal for Roc Nation is "95%." Remember, Beyonce records for Sony-distributed Columbia, so they may want to keep it all in the family.
But today, the New York Daily News reported that Jay-Z is talking to WMG about starting the Carter Music Group to release his own albums, according to MTV.com. However the Daily News speculates that "Blueprint 3" would come out through Epic with subsequent Jay-Z projects on Atlantic. If he pacts with WMG, that reunites him with his former Def Jam cronies, Lyor Cohen and Kevin Liles
In the meantime, whichever label releases "Blueprint 3," the album's producer Kanye West, says to look out. "It's gonna be amazing when he drops it," West told MTV.com "I think it's good he's taking his time to give people the best product possible and not being rushed by this fast-food, media-outlet, Internet, everything-is-getting-leaked, people-stealing your-songs-before-you-can-mix-them-and-put-them-online world we're living in right now." West added that all auto-tuning was taken off the record.
No release date for "Blueprint 3" has been set, but we bet it will be rushed through the pipeline as soon as a deal--wherever it may be--is completed.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013