Kanye West, Chris Martin, Beyonce join Jay-Z, Eminem onstage in New York
What did the critics have to say about the Yankess Stadium show?
Chris Martin was there. So were Drake, Beyonce, Kanye West, Swiss Beatz,Â Nicki Minaj, 50 Cent and Dr. Dre. And, oh yeah, Eminem and Jay-Z.
Slim Shady and Hova rolled out the red carpet for guest after guest at the pairâ€™s opening night at New Yorkâ€™s Yankee Stadium, Sept. 13.Â Yeah, you know, that gig that Eminem had to leave the MTV Video Music Awards for before he could collect any of his trophies.
It was the third show by the pair, following two gigs earlier this month in Eminemâ€™s home town of Detroit. This time, they were on Jay-Zâ€™s turf.
The New York Timesâ€™ Jon Caramanica praised the evening as a whole, but not without reservations:
He went on to call Jay-Z and Beyonceâ€™s take on â€œYoung Loveâ€ â€œdour,â€ but praised Jay-Z and Coldplayâ€™s Martinâ€™s take on â€œHeart of the City (Ainâ€™t No Love),â€ â€œMost Kingsâ€ and â€œVida La Vida.â€
Of Eminemâ€™s performance, Cararmanica wrote: â€œEminem worked hard, a combustion engine vibrating at full throttle, and did an impressive job of making what is essentially deeply technical, deeply insular art appear spacious and arena-worthy.â€
The New York Postâ€™s Dan Aguilante was more effusive, calling Eminem â€œincredible...His raps were fast and clear, and his rhymes hit their targets with a marksman's accuracy. In a way, it's surprising how well Eminem's music worked in a stadium setting. Power raps such as "Stan" and the new "Not Afraid" became unexpected sing-alongs, where the fans sounded like a hired choir."
The Associated Press's Nekesa Mumbi Moody also positively reviewed the show, calling Eminem's portion "impassioned, if imperfect,"Â giving the slight edge to Jay-Z: "For Jay-Z, who has been hip-hop's reigning king for some time now, mingling with rock stars, presidents and baseball champions with ease, Monday's performance only seemed to confirm why he's still one of rap and pop's most engaging figures some 15 years after his debut,"Â she wrote. "He delivered hits like '99 Problems,' 'On to the Next One' and 'Hard Knock Life' with precision, backed by glitzy graphics. He gave West a moment to shine as West rapped his hits 'Power' and "Good Life," and the two brought out Minaj for their buzzed-about new song 'Monster.'"
Even though Eminem and Jay-Z will play Yankee Stadium again tonight in the closing night of their four-date tour, it sounds like Jay-Z summed up Monday night perfectly, telling the audience as the show moved past midnight,Â "This is historic: They ain't never gonna be another night like tonight."
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013