Doug Fieger, lead singer of the Knack, dies of cancer
The group's biggest hit, 'My Sharona,' topped the charts for six weeks
The Knack were great purveyors of power pop. They never rose to the heights of a Cheap Trick or the Raspberries, but for a short time they knew how to combine the perfect pop melody and beat with just the right amount of bite. Think about “My Sharona” or “Good Girls Don’t,” the band’s two biggest hits. “My Sharona” was No. 1 for six weeks in 1979. It’s impossible not to hear that great drum beat, classic guitar riff and stuttering "My-my-my-my Sharona" in your head the minute you hear the song title, isn’t it? it meets right at that sweet intersection of pop and new wave. The album that featured “My Sharona,” “Get the Knack,” was No. 1 on the album chart for six weeks.
I wonder if the Knack could get away with some of their lyrics these days… or at least not have radio ask for some kind of edit. For example, “My Sharona” has the classic lyric about “I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind.” I’m not so sure that wouldn’t be seen as some kind statement from a pedophile, whereas at the time, it just seemed leering and lascivious as opposed to criminal.
Similarly, on the sweaty, sticky “Good Girls Don’t,” which peaked at No. 11, the protagonist, who is presumably the same age as the teenage girl he’s lusting after, is consumed with getting his girl. And, in fact, he knows he won’t be able to escape this madness “‘til she’s sitting on your face.”
I don’t know if there was a stir when either one of these songs came out about the lyrics being too much or too racy or inappropriate. I just know a few years ago I was on the treadmill to “Good Girls Don’t” and literally stopped and thought, “Did he just sing what I think he did.” And he did. I had never really paid attention to the lyrics before.
Rock and roll shouldn’t be safe and the Knack’s lyrics were just bad enough to make you not want to hear the song with your parents in the room, but not terrible enough to be offensive. Their reign may have been short, but it left a great legacy.
Here's a link to the official video for "My Sharona."
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013