Maxwell, Jason Mraz, Seal duke it out in 2010 Grammy Predictions
By the way, where have all the boys gone?
In our continuing countdown to the Jan. 31 Grammy Awards, today we look at the nominees for Best male pop vocal performance.
Oh, where or where have all the pop boys gone? We have pop girls: Lady GaGa, Pink, Katy Perry… all of whom work almost exclusively in the pop idiom. For the gents, other than Jason Mraz, we have to lean over into R&B and borrow men (very talented ones, no doubt) and songs that weren’t pop hits. This is a weak category for lots of reasons, but primarily because we’re in a musical cycle where there are very few solo male artists in pop and rock. What’s a crying shame here is that the Grammy voters saw fit to ignore artists like Rob Thomas and "American Idol" David Cook, both of whom are legitimate “pop” artists in this category for acts like Wonder. Yes, he’s legendary, but shouldn’t criteria for the category be that you actually get played on pop radio now?
Another factor is pure timing, John Mayer, who has won or been nominated for this award for the past three years running didn’t release a single or album in time to be eligible. Plus, Justin Timberlake seems to be content to keep appearing on other folks’ records rather than make one of his own. To be sure, he’s all over the nominations. He’s up for best rap/sung collaboration and best rap song with T.I. for “Dead and Gone” and best pop collaboration with vocals with Ciara for “Love Sex Magic.” Then you have the weird case of acts like Owl City or Five for Fighting, who are basically solo guys, but they count as groups.
So let’s look at who we do have here. Mraz got robbed last year with when “I’m Yours,” still in heavy rotation on lots of stations, didn’t get the Grammy so he may get a make-good with “Make It Mine.” We’re not even sure it was released as an official single. Same with Maxwell’s “Love You.” It didn’t chart in the eligibility period. Yes, the criteria is a single or a track from an eligible album, but this category is padded. Seal did have a modest AC hit with his very nice cover of “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” but we’re not particularly happy about it.
Winner : Seal, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now”
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013