Coldplay and Duffy Lead Brit Award Nominations
Our fave, Scouting for Girls, nabs three noms
Coldplay and Duffy are the top nominees for the Brit Awards, the U.K. equivalent of the Grammys.
Announced in London on Jan. 20, the Brits will be held Feb. 18 at Earl's Court Arena and will be hosted by Kylie Minogue, James Corden and Mathew Horne. Among the performers are Pet Shop Boys, U2, Kings of Leon, Duffy and Girls Aloud.
British acts are on a worldwide roll and in many ways, the Brit nominations resembled what we saw last month at the Grammy Award nominations when British acts dominated the four main categories. (We're clearly in the midst of another British invasion in the U.S.) In addition to British album of the year, Coldplay is up for Brits for British group, live act and single.
Welsh lass Duffy (look for our upcoming interview with her in coming days) is up for British album of the year, single, female solo act and breakthrough act
Adele (another artist we just talked to and will profile soon), Elbow and Scouting for Girls are up for three awards each.
We want to rave about British trio Scouting for Girls. When we were in London last February, we got a copy of the Brit Awards 2008 compilation and kept playing Scouting for Girls' irrepressibly catchy "She's So Lovely" over and over again. For power popsters, the song is close to perfect with its lilting chorus and crescendoing finale. We were thrilled when we heard the song used for the Vonage commercials here (as an instrumental bed only) and by ABC to promote "Ugly Betty's" return in January thinking that might mean the group's CD would be released here. We've asked both the label and the band's management if there are any plans to release Scouting for Girls' CD here. No answer yet, but we'll let you know if we hear something. In the meantime, we encourage you to check out the video on Youtube.
Four U.S. acts (Fleet Foxes, Killers, Kings of Leon and MGMT) vie for international album of the year alongside Australia's AC/DC.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013