Bruce Springsteen 'Dreams' his way to No. 1
The Boss's new album knocks Swift out on Billboard Top 200
The Boss is back. Bruce Springsteen knocks Taylor Swift's "Fearless" out of the top spot on the Billboard 200 with his new album, "Working on a Dream."
The set sold 224,000 in its opening week, which is 111,000 less than his opening frame in 2007 when his previous CD, " Magic," opened in the poll position, according to Billboard. Despite the diminished sales, the title still sold more than four times its closer competitor, "Fearless," which sold 55,000.
"Working on Dream" is Springsteen's ninth No. 1 album. This feat ties him with the Rolling Stones for the third most No. 1 albums, but far out of reach of the Beatles, who had 19 No. 1 albums.
Springsteen's new album has gotten mixed reviews: Rolling Stone awarded it five stars, while the Los Angeles Times gave it only 2.5 stars.
Will Springsteen's Super Bowl bump be enough to keep him at No. 1 for more than one week? Not likely. He faces a strong contender from the Fray, whose second album came out Tuesday and is propelled by building hit "You Found Me." Also likely to come in Top 10 is country singer Dierks Bentley's "Feel That Fire."
Additionally, after such mass exposure to a broad audience, such as the one that watched the Super Bowl, artists tend to see a boost in a greatest hits package rather than a new album-and given that Springsteen did three classics and only a portion of the title track to "Working on a Dream," we'd expect hi s results to be the same. Maybe that Wal-Mart exclusive that he just apologized for will see a leap.
In addition to Springsteen, there were two other entries in the top 10, which has been fairly static since the holidays: "Grammy Nominees 2009," which is multi-artist collection of nominated songs up for awards this Sunday, comes in at No. 6, while Franz Ferdinand's "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand" comes in at No. 9.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
Singer takes to Facebook to respondSaturday, May 25, 2013
Who else debuts in the top 10?Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013