Madonna and Springsteen both Born to Run
After short breaks, the two superstars return to the road
They may both be over 50, but they aren't too old to rock. After short breaks, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen are returning to the road. Details on the next leg of Madge's "Sticky & Sweet" tour are scant; her website only confirms that she will be hitting a number of European cities this summer.
Springsteen, who plays the Super Bowl halftime show on Feb. 1, officially starts a new tour April 1 at HP Pavilion, San Jose, Calif. The tour is in support of "Working on a Dream," his new album out today.
Both are touring powerhouses-and for good reason: very few performers offer shows as strong as theirs. Even though their concerts couldn't be more different, they both share a work ethic and desire to give their fans a truly unique experience. An evening spent with either is never wasted.
Springsteen is all rock and roll muscle. His shows, like his music, are all about the connection with his E Street bandmates and the audience. There are no fireworks or massive light show. It's music, music, music. it's all about the music and the performance.
Madonna's show is a three-ring spectacle with dazzling production number followed by brilliant, often thought-provoking production number. She's always mesmerizing and what she lacks in a connection with the audience (trust me, I've seen her a number of times and I've always felt like, as magnificent as she is, she may as well be performing behind glass) is more than made up for by the sheer effort and dedication that goes into the show.
Springsteen and Madonna are also masters at the box office. Springsteen truly was the Boss on the road last year. According to Billboard, his 2008 tour dates grossed $204 million, making him the second-highest grossing tour act of the year behind Bon Jovi. Madonna, with less than half of Springsteen's 82 dates, came in at No. 3, grossing $185 million.
UPDATE: Madonna just announced a handful of dates. According to her website:
-- 4th July, 2009: London - The 02 London
-- 7 th July, 2009: Manchester - MEN Arena
-- 11th July, 2009: Werchter - Festivalpark
-- 14th July, 2009: Milan - San Siro
-- 30th July, 2009: Oslo - Vallehovin
-- 6th August, 2009: Helsinki - West Harbour
-- 9th August, 2009: Gothenburg - Ullevi Stadium
-- 11th August, 2009: Copenhagen - Parken Stadium
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013