Breaking News: Coachella expands to two weekends
Double the fun at the Indio, Calif. music festival starting in 2012
Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, the multi-artist rock event that kicks off the yearly festival season, will expand to two weekends, according to Paul Tollett, head of Goldenvoice, the AEG-own promoter that produces the April fest.
Unlike the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, which also stretches over two weekends in the Spring, Coachellaâ€™s expansion will feature the same acts over both weekends. â€œWe will attempt to produce two identical festival weekends,â€ read a statement initially released to the Los Angeles Times and then posted on the official website. â€œThat means same lineup, same art, same place, different people.â€Â Quite honestly, that seems like a routing nightmare as acts will have to fill in the dates in between the two weekends in a way that gets them back to where they started.
The 2012 edition of Coachella will take place, as always, at the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Calif., outside of Palm Springs. Dates are April 13-15, 2012 and April 20-22, 2012. Itâ€™s unclear what this will mean for Stagecoach, the country cousin to Coachella, which takes place on the same site often the next weekend after Coachella.
While individual tours have suffered greatly over the past two years, festivals such as Coachella have thrived. In fact, Coachellaâ€™s statement says the reason for the expansion is because of the success of this yearâ€™s event: â€œWe know many of you were unable to attend this year's festival because passes sold out much sooner than anticipated. We were truly surprised by the overwhelming response and remain honored by your passion and enthusiasm. We also know some of you purchased through non legitimate sources and were inconvenienced, gouged or totally scammed.â€
According to the Los Angeles Times, this yearâ€™s Coachella sold out in six days. Headliners included Kings of Leon, Lauryn Hill, The Black Keys, Kanye West, Duran Duran, Mumford & Sons and Arcade Fire.
Three-day passes for the 2012 edition go on sale June 3 at 10 a.m. PST via the event's website and are $269 plus fees.
Are you excited about a two-weekend festival?Â Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013