Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi and MGMT vie in our 2010 Grammy Predictions for best pop group performance
Why are Hall & Oates in this category?
As we continue to countdown to the Jan. 31 Grammys, we look at best pop performance by a duo or group. This award goes to an outfit that regularly records together as opposed to a one-off collaboration.
Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group
A few days ago we wrote about the best pop performance by a male category and the dearth of qualified candidates. Same here. We are in a cycle where pop music is totally dominated by either female artists like Lady GaGa, Pink and Beyonce, or R&B/hip-hop males who crossover into pop, but who are core urban artists. Groups in pop, unless we’re in a boy band resurgence, are few and far between. Having said that, Owl City’s “Fireflies” should have made the cut; it may have peaked after initial balloting.
Otherwise, it’s a very weak slate. As much as we love Hall & Oates (we were at the show this track is taken from), it’s ludicrous that they are nominated here for a live version of a 30-year old song. Bon Jovi, who are performing on the Grammys this year for the first time (!!), are nominated for one of their weakest songs ever. “Kids” is a great song, but seems like odd man out in this category as it’s much more of an alternative rock song than a pop song, but there is no best alternative song category. I’m not really sure why voters went for “Never Say Never” by the Fray over the more popular “You Found Me.” However, it’s all moot because the clear winner here is “I Gotta Feeling.”
The Grammy goes to: “I Gotta Feeling,” Black Eyed Peas.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013