Billboard 200 Chart Preview: where are Pink, Rihanna and Justin Bieber?
Pink, Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj hang steady
Well here’s something we’re seeing for the first time in 2011: an album that sells six figures in the top spot of the Billboard 200. Yes, that’s how pathetic the year has been.
“Now That’s What I Call Music 37” is a rehash of hits from the fourth quarter that people can easily download, but enough folks still yearn for their physical CDs that the title will easily come in at No. 1 with sales of up to 125,000 copies, according to Hits Daily Double.
After that, things start to look pretty grim again. “Now” is the only new title to debut in the top 10 (The next bow is likely to be country duo Thompson Square’s first set at No. 15). The remaining spaces in the Top 10 are filled with sets that have been out since 2010, other than the “2011 Grammy Nominees” compilation (which, like Now!” contains songs already readily available).
[More after the jump...]
This week’s No. 1, Nicki Minaj’s “Pink Friday,” is poised to slip to No. 2 with sales one-third those of “Now.” The latest from Pink, Rihanna and Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars are duking it out for spots 3-6, but are too close to call right now. Each will sell between 30-35,000.
The chart closes Sunday night, which is too early to see many results from Feb. 13’s Grammy Awards, but we’ll see some big changes in following chart. Traditionally, performers seeing a larger increase in sales than the winners. This year, we expect Florence + the Machine and Mumford & Sons to both get nice boosts from their appearances.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013